Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not Hot. NOT HOT!

GPP (El Cuerta) came over last night and he and I took the kids to the Bonnycastle Club for chicken wing night. Maureen was delighted, though she did have one of her "NOT HOT" fits. This is where we bring her hot food, tell her to wait until it cools down, and she gets upset because her desire to eat outweighs the probability that she will get hurt doing so. She argues with reason, stating "Not Hot, NOT HOT." This has been a battle since she's been able to talk - and I would venture to say "Not" and "Hot" were two of the first ten words she first learned.

I know what you are saying - don't put hot food in front of her. Again, easier said than done. But she is learning, slowly, that heat hurts. We tell her she is in charge of the situation; if we tell her it's hot, and she feels that it's hot, it's up to her which path she takes. Some times you gotta get burned.

Once again, Rowan slept through the whole experience.

ps: Happy Birthday Betty (Owl's Pine Tree!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a book for you. It's called tough love. Did you ever burn your toungue? Ow,ow,ow,!

Papa Sparky said...

Thanks Mr or Ms Anonymous.